Certified Teacher in Visual Impairment (TVI)
Certified Teacher in Visual Impairment (TVI)
Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind is seeking a full-time Certified Teacher in Visual Impairment (TVI). The TVI is responsible for developing and implementing an individualized, comprehensive program for students who are blind/visually impaired and multiply handicapped. The program should be based on the Critical Skills Model, while focusing on the students’ development of compensatory skills and self-esteem. Additionally, the TVI will provide direct instruction in vision-specific goals areas (ECC, Braille, and technology) as set by the IEP or IFSP.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Teach visually impaired students in an individual and/or group setting.
- Instruct in the expanded core curriculum to support grade level content standards.
- Develop, review, and evaluate individualized educational plan (IEP) with appropriate goals and objectives.
- Conduct evaluations and assessments (FVLMA) to determine developmental status and academic status.
- Participate in interdisciplinary team meetings and IEP meetings.
- Manage classroom resources and complete all reports in a timely manner.
- Work directly with auditors during all stages of the financial review of the financial statements and 990.
- Monitor the cost allocation model to ensure inter-departmental activities are accurately accounted for in the financial statements.
- Researched and educates self with regard to current educational trends and new developments in the field of special education and visual impairment. • Attends staff meetings and in-services
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EEO Statement: Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical handicap, or political affiliation.
Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Health Insurance (Medical, dental and vision). CLB covers 65% of the premium.
- Disability insurance (Short term and long-term disability). 100% covered by CLB.
- Life Insurance and AD&D. 100% covered by CLB.
- Retirement 401(K). CLB matches up to 3% after one year of employment.
- Student loan forgiveness benefits.
- Relocation benefits.
- PTO benefits. 2 weeks of vacation
- 11 holidays + 5 days (CLB is closed from Christmas thru New Year’s).
- Other benefits.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education or related field required.
- Must be able to meet qualifications for State approved licensure with an endorsement of teaching students with visual impairment in the areas/territories of DC, MD and VA.
- Knowledge of Assistive Technology.
- Strong Braille skills.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent report writing and computer skills required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good judgment, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines, and ability to handle confidential material.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of second language helpful but not required.
Physical Activity and ADA Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these demands:
- Ability to endure prolonged walking, sitting, standing, use of pulling, bending, and stooping movements.
- Ability to adapt to changes in daily work hours and schedule.
- Must be able to push/lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Vaccination Requirement: Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind values the safety of its employees, and visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or you must request an exemption from the HR Department. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind.